With winners to be announced on May 7, Seattle can be proud that perennial candidate Tom Douglas is again in the running for Outstanding Restaurateur. But again this year, Portland outflanks our city in terms of finalists in the Best Chef Northwest category:
- Matt Dillon, Sitka and Spruce, Seattle
- Jason Franey, Canlis, Seattle
- Christopher Israel, Grüner, Portland
- Naomi Pomeroy, Beast, Portland
- Cathy Whims, Nostrana, Portland
This is again a tough field. I give early odds to Franey as the favorite, though Cathy Whims could provide an upset. I’ve enjoyed her food at Nostrana, and plan to check out her new Oven & Shaker in the next few days. Look for a report on that and my volcanic hamburger at Grüner in the next few weeks.